Similar to traditional candied sweet potatoes, this sweet potato recipe features oranges for an added kick to the typical side dish recipe.
Sweet potatoes are a must-have for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner and are likely the most commonly thought off side dish for celebrating the holiday. Candied sweet potatoes and candied yams are often topped with marshmallows but in this recipe marshmallows do not exist. Instead, the sweetness comes from a sugary syrup which is paired with a citrus infusion of orange juice and fresh zest.
Friends and family will enjoy this citrus sweet potato recipe which can be tailored to fit an individual’s taste. Add chopped pecans or a bit of cinnamon to the syrup mixture before baking to turn this into an entirely new side dish.
If Thanksgiving is looks like it will be hectic, this side dish can be prepared the day before up through step 6 in the directions, then placed into the refrigerator until the next day. The skillet can be removed from the refrigerator and baked during the hour leading up to Thanksgiving dinner.
Orange-Glazed Sweet Potatoes
Serves 6 to 8
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 orange slices, about 1/4 inch thick
- Preheat oven to a temperature of 350F (160C)
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut in half lengthwise. Place into a large skillet, adding boiled water then covering the skillet with a lid.
- Place skillet over medium heat and bring to a boil, then reducing heat so that the sweet potatoes are simmering. Continue simmering until the sweet potatoes are tender. You can poke them with either a sharp knife or fork to test the tenderness.
- Remove skillet from heat and drain off all but 1/4 cup of the water
- Dot the sweet potatoes with the 3 tablespoons of butter, cutting into small pieces and sprinkling over the sweet potatoes
- In a small bowl, combine the orange zest, orange juice, corn syrup, brown sugar, and orange slices. Stir to combine and then pour over the sweet potatoes in the skillet.
- Place the uncovered skillet into a 350F (160C) oven and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbling.
- Serve while hot
A delicious Thanksgiving side dish, sweet potatoes are one of the most requested holiday recipes. Made with fresh sweet potatoes, this recipe uses the tangy orange flavor to cut through the sugary sweetness found in many sweet potato recipes.