Creamed Corn Casserole is easy to make and a delicious addition to any holiday meal.
Corn is an important staple of the western diet. Whether eaten on the cob, added to soups and stews, or ground to make cornbread, it is a perfect meal accompaniment. Corn is also a good source of magnesium as well as B vitamins.
Adding Vegetable Casseroles to Meals
This easy corn casserole is perfect with any holiday meal. Fast and easy to prepare, it allows valuable time to be spent on other projects. This casserole is also a good pick for pot luck dinners, office parties, and family dinners. It will soon become a favorite family recipe.
Ingredients for the Casserole
- Two cans of creamed corn
- One third cup of milk or one third cup of canned milk
- Two tablespoons of white sugar
- Four tablespoons of white cornbread mix, such as Martha White
- Two eggs, beaten well
- One quarter cup of softened butter (not butter or margarine spread)
- One teaspoon of vanilla
- One half cup of sharp cheddar cheese, grated.
- Eight by eight glass baking dish
Mixing and Baking the Casserole
- Open the two cans of creamed corn and pour into a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the third cup of milk, two tablespoons of sugar, four tablespoons of cornmeal, and two beaten eggs. Mix together with hand mixer or with a wooden spoon, just until combined. Add the quarter cup of butter and teaspoon of vanilla. Beat well, but do not let mixture become frothy.
- Grease the eight by eight glass baking dish and pour the casserole ingredients into it. The mixture should be slightly soupy. If it is too thick, add another tablespoon of milk to the mix.
- Bake in a three hundred and fifty degree oven for one hour, until browned around the edges and slightly browned in the middle. Check on the casserole the last fifteen minutes and cover with foil if casserole seems to be getting too brown. When sufficiently done, remove casserole from the oven.
Adding the Cheese
Sprinkle the top of the casserole with the grated sharp cheddar cheese. Allow the casserole to cool approximately fifteen minutes before serving.
Serving the Casserole
Creamed Corn Casserole is wonderful served with any meal. It is a great accompaniment to a pork chop meal, and goes well with ham, beef roast, ribs or turkey. It makes a wonderful addition to Thanksgiving and Christmas buffets, also.
Easy Breakfast Meal
Creamed Corn Casserole can easily convert to a delicious breakfast meal by omitting the cheese and adding additional sugar to the mixture. One half cup of sugar will give the casserole the perfect sweetness for a true breakfast treat.